I have come to the realization that no matter what people tell you, no matter what advise they give or no matter what anticipation you have, the best form of learning occurs when you are undergoing your personal experience. And that's the time you learn that life can never be theorized, it can never be pictured; it can only be lived. I am not and have never been a philosopher and i live it at the liberty of the reader of this article to see whether there is any phrase worth noting for future reference, especially preachers and politicians.
Over time, i have come to appreciate my upbringing and i will forever thank God for my parents and remain indebted to them for my life. They gave me the best care, taught me how to love and serve God, took me to school and allowed me to determine what i want to be, they only facilitated. They taught me good mannerisms, they protected me from all harm, from everything including myself. They were a good example in almost every aspect of life.
And now here i am on my own. I never hear my mum waking me up to go to school, or my dad staying there to ensure i read. These days i am an adult and everyone assumes i know what to do. After all they can only advise me but not instruct me or follow me to do what they say. Its a life of my own and all i can do is live it. Of course living it is not as easy as it sounds, that's actually where all the complications begin. Its now when i would actually stand on a podium and say like a Kenyan, " mengi yamesemwa, mengi yameropokwa, mengi yamepayukwa". At the end of the day its my life. And unlike a project that is just a matter of implementing what has already been preplanned and premeditated, to me life is just living. Its not just about putting into practice what we have learnt and observed over time, its about building a personal culture. Actually i say life begins when you discover yourself and are able to identify your niche.
That's why after all the premarital counseling, i do not consult my notes to know how best to live with my wife. I need to first know her and understand her. I am now hitting two years in marriage and its like all what i knew is gradually becoming irrelevant. I now know that it can only be worth when i live the marriage life, not implement advice or theorize it. And when they talk about becoming one, they mean it. Because it has to be one life lived by two people and that means all past knowledge, perceptions, convictions or even discoveries can be of no use, in fact most of the times they are of no use.
I know i have a background, i know i have a personality, i know i pray and seek God. Yeah, i know many things and if you asked me for a lecture, you will need to allocate good enough time. So what? Is life therefore a lesson? i say no. Is it an experiment? Of course not. I need to stop asking hard questions that i will not answer. All i need to do is live life. And how do i live life? aaah, eeeeh, i just need to do what is best for me and those who matter to me. I know my Dad is a great man, but i am my own man. I have read many books, but they were not describing me. I have listened to many people, but they said what they knew and perhaps what applies to them.And when i think about God, the first thing that comes to my mind is creativity and the beginning of my life is where my creativity begins, because i am His image.
I repeat, i am not a philosopher and this what i am writing is not a thesis. It may not be properly formatted. It does not need a theoretical framework. What i am writing is not a recommendation or a way forward. I'm just saying that life must be lived. And as i hit the keys on my keyboard and curve every letter on my notepad, i am just living my life. I do not want to do anything more. I know who i am and where i live and with whom i live and for what reason i live. That tells me what i need to do and it doesn't have to be what you are doing now, or what you did yesterday or what you are likely to do tomorrow. I love my life and i will live my life. God help me.
No comments:
Post a Comment